A place for new, old, or forgotten words. (The list is currently short, but it will soon grow.)
- Aberration (n)
1. A deviation from the proper or expected course.2. A departure from the normal or typical: events that wereaberrations from the norm.3. Psychology: A disorder or abnormal alteration in one’smental state.4.a. A defect of focus, such as blurring in an image.b. An imperfect image caused by a physical defect in anoptical element, as in a lens.5. The apparent displacement of the position of a celestial bodyin the direction of motion of an observer on Earth, caused bythe motion of Earth and the finite velocity of light.6. Genetics: A deviation in the normal structure or number ofchromosomes in an organism.
- Abeyance (n)
1. The condition of being temporarily set aside; suspension: heldthe plan in abeyance.2. Law: A condition of undetermined ownership, as of an estatethat has not yet been assigned.
- Abnegation (n)
1. The act of renouncing or rejecting something.2. Self-denial.
- Acrimony (n)
Bitter, sharp animosity, especially as exhibited in speech or behavior.
- Adventitious (adj)
1. Happening or carried on according to chance rather than design orinherent nature.2. Coming from outside; not native.
- Barbarous (adj)
1. Primitive in culture and customs; uncivilized.2. Lacking refinement or culture; coarse.3. Characterized by savagery; very cruel.4. Marked by the use or occurrence of barbarisms in spoken orwritten language.
- Betimes (adv)
1. In good time; early.2. Once in a while; on occasion.3. Archaic Quickly; soon.
- Distributary (n)
1. A branch of a river that flows away from the main stream.2. One of the channels in a braided stream.